Oooow, Honey Prune Cake!!
If you love the taste of honey, cream and prunes then there is no doubt about how much you will adore this cake.
I made this deliciously rich and moist cake for a potluck at work, everyone loved it!!!
Ingredients for sponge cake:
1 1/4 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. honey
3 Tbsp. honey
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients for Filling:
1 3/4 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
16 oz. sour cream
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 cups prunes
1 1/2 cups walnuts-crushed
Preheat the oven to 315 degrees F.
On high speed beat the eggs for about 4 minutes, slowly add sugar and beat for another 3-4 minutes. Lower speed to medium-low, add honey.
Mix flour with baking soda and on lowest speed add to the egg mixture. Go slowly so the batter stays fluffy.
Spray two baking dishes (9” round) with cooking spray. Pour the batter evenly into the baking dishes and bake for 35-40 minutes. Check if the cake is ready with a tooth pick, if nothing sticks to it, it is done.
On medium- high speed beat the butter with sugar until it’s white and fluffy, 3-4 minutes. Add the vanilla and sour cream. Once the sour cream is blended in the filling is ready.
Assembling the cake:
Set aside about 5-6 prunes for decoration. Place rest of the prunes in to a bowl cover them with boiling water and let it sit for 10-15 minutes so they will become soft. Take them out chop to small pieces. (I’ve seen some chop their prunes extremely small, I like mine kind of in chunks).
Cut each cake in 1/2. (total you’ll have 4 layers)
Place one cake layer on a flat serving dish spread about 2-3 tablespoon of filling on cake layer. Arrange chopped prunes on top of the cream, sprinkle with crushed walnuts.
Then take another cake layer and place it on top. Repeat this process until you finish your cake layers.
Apply the rest of the filling to the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle sides of the cake with crashed walnuts. Decorate top with fresh whole prunes and nuts. Refrigerate at least for 4 hours, better if overnight.
Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant Salad
Cuisine American, Russian, Turkish, Mediterranean, Category Healthy Side Dishes
You can grill the vegetables instead of baking in oven. (even better)
- 2 Eggplants- Medium
- 3 Tomatoes- Medium
- 2 Bell Peppers (red or/and yellow)
- 3-4 Gloves of Garlic
- 3 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Small Red Onion
- 1 Tablespoon each chopped fresh Dill and Cilantro
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- 1 Jalapeno (optional)
- Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut washed tomatoes and eggplants in half, sprinkle lightly with olive oil, salt and pepper on the cut side. Place them into the baking sheet cut side down.
- Cut bell peppers into 1 inch stripes, sprinkle with olive oil and lightly season with salt and black pepper. Place them into the baking sheet too.
- Baked the vegetables in preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are nicely roasted.
- While vegetables are roasting, chop red onion into very small cubes.
- Chop garlic into very small pieces or use garlic presser.
- Coarsely chop dill and cilantro.
- Remove seeds from the Jallepino and chop into very small pieces.
- Remove vegetables form the oven. While they are still warm, remove the skin and coarsely chop into big chunks.
- Combine all the vegetables and chopped herbs in a large bowl, add 1 Table Spoon of olive oil and mix until everything is well combined. Taste and season accordingly.
- Serve with BBQ, Shashlik, kebabs or just like an appetizer.
Inessa,this cake looks lovely!
Have a nice Sunday dear!
You should sell your cakes to bakeries! They are masterpieces! Well done on this again!
Awesome!!I’ve never baked a prune cake, but I love prunes!!I can imagine the taste of this with the flavors of the prunes!!Great recipe and no wonder it was a hit at your potluck!
Lovely….perfectly done….keep it up.
Wow, such a delicious cake. I love honey cakes, there is something unique about them. I believe I have all the ingridients to make this cake for my 12 year anniversarry coming next weekend. 🙂
Ordinarily I do not like prunes but in this delicious honeycake it looks irresistable 😀
Choc Chip Uru
It looks stunning! Love your step by step method!
you never mentioned honey as part of your ingredients. How much honey will you need? Thanks. The cake looks great!!!
ohh.. I fixed that. Thank you so much for letting me know. 🙂
This looks too good for words. LOVE the combination of ingredients, sounds tasty 🙂
mouthwatering .. layer looks so beutifully .. thanks for sharing
thank you so much for this incredible receipe, made it for my daughter birthday, now my dad asked to make the same cake for his birthday.
You are welcome. I am glad your family liked it 🙂
You never say when to add the vanilla extract to the cake batter. Can you please let me know as I’d like to make the cake today. Thanks!
Yana thank you. Add vanilla when you add honey. Enjoy