This red cabbage salad is easy, pretty and delicious.Colorful, crisp red cabbage, cranberry, carrots and apples are tossed with a delightful sweet dressing. The perfect side dish.
5 cups shredded red cabbage
1 medium carrot, grated
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup almonds, (Slivered Almonds) toasted on a skillet
1 large apple, cored and finely chopped
2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. Condensed milk
Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large salad bowl, combine the cabbage, carrots, cranberries, toasted almonds and apples.
To make the dressing, combine: mayonnaise and condensed milk. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
Pour dressing into the salad, mix it well and serve.
Smetannik Cake (Торт “Сметанник”)
Smetannik is a Classical Russian Cake with Sour Cream Frosting. My sister in-law Galina shared this fabulous recipe with me and now I am sharing it with you. Simple and yet so good.
- 4 eggs
- 200 grams butter, (1 .75 sticks) unsalted
- 2 cans condensed milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. white Vinegar
- 4 cups sour cream
1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups walnuts- crushed
- Chocolate Ganache
- 3/4 cup melting chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 2 cups fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350°F
With electric mixer on medium speed beat butter until it gets light and fluffy, for about 2 minutes. Lower the speed to slow and add eggs one at a time; add condensed milk and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- In a separate little bowl mix baking soda and vinegar (This will carbonate the soda so that you won’t taste it) and stir into the batter mixture.
- Gradually add flour and mix thoroughly. Pour half of the batter into round 9” greased pan. For the remaining second half of the batter add cocoa powder and mix thoroughly. Pour that into another round 9” greased pan. Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean, 35-45 minutes. Let them cool.
- Cut each cake horizontally in two layers.
- Mix together sour cream, sugar and vanilla extract.
Place bottom of the chocolate layer on a serving plate, spread generously some filling, use a fork to poke holes all over, almost all the way to the bottom of the cake,
- sprinkle with crushed walnuts, place vanilla (white) layer on top of the chocolate layer and repeat the process until your finish your layers. Apply filling generously on top and sides of the cake.
- Refrigerate at least for 30-45 minutes.
In top of a double boiler over hot water, combine the chocolate, cream and butter. Stir until melted and completely combined. Remove from heat and let cool about 2-3 minutes. Pour melted chocolate mixture over the top of the cake. Decorate with fresh berries.
- Refrigerate for 4 -5 hours or overnight.