Jump to recipe
Creamy mixture of cream cheese and sour cream, fresh dill- topped with thin slices of radish and caviar give these appetizers a distinct flavor.
In a mixer bowl combine cream cheese, sour cream, fresh chopped dill and pepper mix them well until smooth texture.
Arrange crackers or bread on a serving tray. Pipe or spread each cracker with cream cheese mixture. Top with a spoonful of Red Caviar, one slice radish and cucumber and sprig of dill. Serve.
Russian Farmer’s Cheese Cake (Zapekanka) Творожная Запеканка
This popular Russian classic Farmer’s Cheese Breakfast Cake has a creamy, cheesy and delicious
flavor and super smooth texture; which is an absolute childhood favorite for many Slavic
people. It’s a typical breakfast or simple dessert with tea, served with dollop of smetana (sour
cream) and a spoon of jam or honey.
There are many variations of Zapekanka but here is my recipe for a perfect one.
1 hour, 5 minutes
- 2 cups Tvorog (Farmer's cheese) or Ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
Splash of Vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp. Sugar
- 4 Tbsp. Semolina
- 3 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Sour Cream
- Pinch of Salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Line and grease the bottom of 8 inch springform baking pan with parchment paper.
In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with pinch of salt until light and fluffy.
- In a large bowl, smooth cottage cheese with a folk or electric mixer; add sugar, egg yolks, vanilla, extract, melted butter, sour cream and semolina; mix well.
- Add beaten egg whites and gently mix to combine.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan and bake for about 1 hr.
- Let it cool completely.
Serve with sour cream and your favorite jam.
Share This Article